Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Saving $$$

I'm learning how to save money! I plan on finding cute tidbit articles in the future and blogging about how to be savvier when shopping!

I'm learning how to save and acknowledge ever penny I spend. It adds up so fast!
I'm learning some fun tools and techniques to avoid overspending or making unnecessary purchases. From going to the grocery store, to learning DIY projects at home.

Prime example:
I really enjoy Target. It is like therapy, but if I am not prepared when I go in there, not only will I spend 1-2 hours of my time, but I will also spend $100-$200 dollars of my hard earned cash! RIDICULOUS! UNNECESSARY!

This past weekend, I needed to make a run for the essentials. Toothpaste, paper towel, shampoo/conditioner... the works...

My first lesson:

PREPARE!

Every time you think of something that you need, such as a household item- write it down. By writing things down as you need them, you won't make up items in your head that you need at the last minute. Because let's face it. It's fun to spend money, even if it is on cleaning products. Keep a notepad in your purse or on your fridge. ("Erin Baggerly TO-DO" lists available upon request) :)


I said to myself "self, how can we save time and money?" I saw an article on planning your route in the store and items to be purchased. I always make a list. But sometimes I can't help but have a wondering eye, and purchase things I just don't need.

My second lesson:

STICK TO YOUR LIST!


Don't stray from your list. Stores are set-up to attract the eye and bait you into making purchases that you didn't plan for. Every store is a business. Keep that in mind. If you see something that you want, do some research on it. There are many stores that offer a price match guarantee.

My third lesson:

COUUUUPONS!

I took my regular list, and did some research online. I went through all of Target's specials online and printed out at least $17 worth of coupons!!!

We arrived at Target. I knew where everything was that we were getting, how much it cost and what items were on sale.
I'm not kidding; we were done in 13 minutes. We were done so fast, and had accomplished everything on our list!
It took me a total of 9 minutes online to look up the coupons I wanted and print them out. That's a total of 22 minutes for preparations and shopping. The best part? I shaved 21% off the bottom line!! Just by using the coupons I printed out and knowing what was already on sale!
It felt even better than spending a ton of cash. Everything we need for under $60 and NOTHING that we didn't need. That is the lesson I'm learning now.
What DON'T you absolutely need? TAKE IT OUT OF YOUR CART!! It is defiantly a challenge, but you will see the dollars stay in the bank and it is so rewarding :)

I will be sharing more savvy money saving tips as I come across them!

Happy shopping! && SAVING!

No comments:

Post a Comment